SECURITY EVANGELIST

Fight against online threats and cyber-crime continues.

This week we learn about the Dark Web area of Internet, and how it can protect our privacy, to the shopping season’s online scams and how we can avoid them.

Our security blog provided this week an important 10-step article on how to improve your LinkedIn Privacy and Security.

We recommend using the steps in the article to keep your LinkedIn account safe from identity theft and other online threats.

Our goal is to bring you the latest security news from the digital world. And this is what we do.

These are the 10 security articles of the week that you should read in order to improve your online security.

Security articles of the week

 

1. What Is The Dark Web?

Google and Yahoo only access 4% of the entire Internet, the rest 96% is made up of the “dark web,”. Facebook is interested in Dark Web for its capacities of obscuring the location of a user, which could influence Facebook spreading to monitored countries as Iran or China. Is Facebook going for world domination?

2. Stealthy Regin malware is a ‘top-tier espionage tool’

Regin, an advanced piece of malware has apparently been created by a state as a mass surveillance and data collection tool to gain information on official and private institutions. Regin’s targets include companies in the airline, energy, hospitality and research sectors. How do we defend against a government that uses such a weapon against us?

3. A Guide to Avoiding Cyber Monday Scams on Mobile

Cyber Monday, or the Monday right after Thanksgiving, is an important shopping day for consumers world wide and since sales have been on the rise in the last years, this has also drawn unwanted attention. Not to mention Christmas which will attract another wave of online attacks. Pay attention to discount coupons or exclusive offers that are too good to pass up on!

4. Cybersecurity for cars? Yes, hackers could kill a car’s engine

Apparently even your car can be hacked. Are we going into a new era of cyber-criminal attacks and should we install a defensive wall against these threats?

5. Routing around the Great Firewall of China

Internet should be free and open for everybody. But it’s not, especially in China, where the government controls the online information. Is there any solution for this?

6. The Islamic State, Hungarian Porn, and Why the US State Dept. Just Isn’t Cool on Twitter

Internet is a vast space and different areas of interest, from various regions of the world, should not be related. And yet, what is the connection between the violent Islamic State propaganda and Hungarian porn?

7.  Twitter misrepresents the real world, computer scientists warn

Social networks are biased and populated by a narrow section of society, so, they shouldn’t be totally trust. What do you think? Do you trust the writings on the wall?

8. Black Friday And DNS Hijacking

Is the end of the year and we are more than ever encouraged to access all sorts of shopping websites. But, it is also a period when cyber-criminal activities increase and a favorite method used by hackers is to change a website’s DNS records to point to a system that is under their control, stealing credentials and money. It is not a period safe for online activities.

9. A cybercrime expert offers tips for hack-proofing your life

Brian Krebs offers advice on staying safe online, securing corporate accounts and how to protect your identity, family and friends. It is a voice we need to listen.

10. 9 apps to help you find people during disasters

Technology should be helping us in improving our lives. Or, there are cases when technology can and should save lives. Take a look at these apps and decide which one you should have installed on your mobile.

 

We are sure there are other important security news out there. So please let us know, what security news did we miss and should have been included here?

This post was originally published by Aurelian Neagu in November 2014.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

GO TO TOP
148 queries in 1.055 seconds