Updates Able to Fix Printing Crashes Released for Windows 10
Microsoft has released out-of-band non-security updates to fix a know Windows 10 issue.
Microsoft has rolled out some non-security updates to fix a well-known Windows 10 issue that was causing blue screens when executing printing jobs on network printers after installing the cumulative updates released in March 2021.
The cumulative updates released in order to fix the printing issues are published as optional updates so they will not be installed automatically via Windows Update and are addressing
“an issue that might cause a blue screen when attempting to print to certain printers using some apps and might generate the error, APC_INDEX_MISMATCH.”
Printer brands that were affected by this known issue include Kyocera, Ricoh, and Dymo.
The platforms affected by this issue include both client and server Windows versions:
- Client: Windows 10, version 20H2; Windows 10, version 2004; Windows 10, version 1909; Windows 10, version 1809; Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2019; Windows 10, version 1803
- Server: Windows Server, version 20H2; Windows Server, version 2004; Windows Server, version 1909; Windows Server, version 1809; Windows Server 2019; Windows Server, version 1803
This is the list that contains all the updates causing Windows 10 blue screens when printing are:
- KB5000802 for Windows 10 2004/20H2 & Windows Server 2004/20H2
- KB5000808 for Windows 10 1909 & Windows Server 1909
- KB5000822 for Windows 10 1809 & Windows Server 2019
- KB5000809 for Windows 10 1803 & Windows Server 1803
If you want to install these updates manually, you have to open Windows Update and ‘Check for updates, following this you’ll be able to directly click the link to download and install the update, or if this is not listed you can also go to the ‘Optional updates available’ area and pick it from the list.
You can also download the updates manually from the Microsoft Catalog using the following links, but keep in mind that after installing this update, Windows 10, version 2004 will be updated to build 19041.868 and Windows 10, version 20H2 to build 19042.868.
- KB5001567 for Win10 v2004/20H2
- KB5001566 for Win10 v1909
- KB5001568 for Win10 v1809 enterprise/education/LTSC 2019
- KB5001565 for Win10 v1803 enterprise/education
A solution also exists for those who can’t immediately install the out-of-band cumulative updates released, they can apply a workaround shared by Microsoft over the weekend.